Heart Health month
It is February and time to take about heart health! Most people know that cardiovascular
disease is the number one killer in the world, but did you know that there are a number of small
things we can do every day to help prevent our risk of getting heart disease?
Make the following a habit to live your healthiest, best life!
1. Don’t smoke: Don’t start; if you smoke, quit. There are many resources available to help such
as your primary care provider or the Colorado Quit Line (www.coquitline.org). If you stop now,
you’ll have the same risk of a heart attack as a non-smoker in a few years.
2. Maintain regular physical activity: Exercise most days for 30-60 minutes with a combination
of aerobic exercise and resistance training.
3. Eat a heart healthy diet: Eat a mostly plant based diet, rich in whole grains, fresh vegetables
and fruit; limit overall meat consumption focusing on lean meats and fish. Additionally, avoid
highly processed foods and excess sugar.
4. Maintain a healthy body weight
5. Manage stress
6. Know your numbers: Visit with your primary care provider to check your blood pressure,
cholesterol, blood sugar and other important factors to your heart health.
7. Maintain social support: Keep in contact via friends, group activities, etc. to keep your mental
health strong to match your physical health.
8. Limit alcohol consumption: Limit yourself to no more than 1-2 drinks per day for men and
one drink a day for women.
9. Maintain good dental hygiene: Visit your dentist regularly to keep good oral health.
10. Get enough sleep: 7-8 hours for adults; more for children or adolescents
All the above can seem like a lot, so start SMALL and incorporate the above one step at a
time. Here are a few things that will help you with your best heart health:
*Try eating every color of the rainbow – get those veggies in!
*Take moments throughout your day to pause and take 10 deep breathes to help reduce
*If you don’t have time for a full workout, take 10 minutes throughout the day to take a walk,
stretch, or do a few body weight exercises. Get your blood pumping!
*Try mindful eating – really enjoy your food, savor it while chewing slowly, and stop when you
*Write down a few things that you are grateful for. This can reduce stress and create
*LOVE your heart – treat your body with love and it will be good to you!